First Friday, a free event in Downtown Bryan, has become the “must do” activity for residents and tourists alike. Around 5:30 p.m. on the first Friday of each month, the sidewalks begin to buzz with activity. By dusk, streets and sidewalks are teeming with people pausing to listen to street musicians, watch a magic act, peruse artwork or just chat with friends. Shops stay open late and restaurants stay busy until well into the late evening. And if you’re looking for even more to do, The Palace Theater plays host to live music starting at 8 p.m.
The Downtown Bryan Association holds the permit for First Friday and as such, is the entity that determines who is allowed to participate. Artists, musicians and non-profits are accepted with careful review. No selling is allowed on sidewalks. Political activities or solicitations are not allowed during First Friday. All participants of First Friday, including artists, performers, and non-profits, must be family-friendly. The Downtown Bryan Association reserves the right to deny or revoke the permit of any participant the DBA does not deem family friendly.
Street Performers and Artists
Street performers and artists may apply for First Friday on the 1st-15th of the month before the next First Friday (e.g. To participate in April First Friday, performers and artists would need to register between March 1 & 15). All performers and artists are required to provide their own equipment and must inform DBA if they need electricity prior to First Friday. All performers and artists signing up for the first time must submit a video recording of your performance to email@example.com. If your performance is amplified, the sound may not exceed half a city block. We ask that each performance group have no more than three (3) people unless permission has been granted for additional performers. Drums are not allowed at First Friday unless special permission is granted before signing up. Permits must be picked up from the Downtown Bryan Association. Street performers and artists must reapply monthly in order to participate.
Non-profit groups may apply for First Friday the 1st-15th of the month proceeding First Friday (e.g. To participate in April First Friday, non-profit groups will need to register between March 1 & 15). Non-profits may display and distribute information about their service or upcoming event, but are not allowed to sell anything on the sidewalk. Non-profit groups are required to have an interactive component as part of their display. Exemptions are at the discretion of the Downtown Bryan Association. Non-profit groups must reapply monthly. For any questions about non-profit groups, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mobile Food Vendors
There are two locations in the Downtown area for mobile food vendors. All mobile food vendors must have a current, valid Mobile Food Vendor permit from the City of Bryan as well as a permit from the Brazos County Health Department. A Texas Sales Tax permit is also required, when applicable. A $25 First Friday Food vendor permit is required by the DBA and must be paid no later than the 15th of the preceding month.(e.g. To participate in April First Friday, Food Vendors must pay for their permit by March 15). For any questions about Mobile Food Vendors, email email@example.com.
What Is Not Allowed at First Friday
- Independent distributors of commercial products (such as Avon, Scentsy, and the like)
- Outside vendors to sell on the streets
- For-profit businesses who want to showcase their services or products.
- Fundraising activities for sports teams and clubs.
- Any individual or group who sets up without permission from the Downtown Bryan Association will be asked to leave.
- No soliciting of any kind.
- Only bottled water and packaged candy may be given away by groups during First Friday. Not allowed: chewing gum or items containing nuts. A request to distribute other items will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Submit your application between the 1 – 15 of the month
- Your application will be reviewed and then you will receive an email on the 16th with your acceptance status
- If you application is approved, you will receive an email no later than the Tuesday before First Friday with you assigned location and permit information
If you are a for-profit businesses who would like to sponsor an official First Friday activity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.